Saturday, May 14, 2011

Inspiration From My Pantry: Turkey Chili



I had planned on going to the grocery store at some point today to pick up some staple items, but instead decided against it once I stepped into gloomy, chilly weather when I let the dogs out. Instead of running errands as planned, my daughter and I stayed in our PJ's all day long and played in the living room from sun up to sun down.

When it came time to prep dinner for the two of us, I realized that maybe I should have made that trip to the store and started searching my kitchen for inspiration. I had lots of canned veggies, a few different meats in the freezer and a loaded spice cabinet, so I decided to make chili.

I began to pull out the items that I normally put in my chili only to find that I didn't have half of the ingredients. No onions, no garlic, no kidney beans, no ground beef....but I REALLY, REALLY wanted my chili. So in all of my stubborn-ness, I decided to see if I could get away with what I did have on hand-  Ground turkey, a can of tomatoes and a few cans of flavored pinto beans. What ensued was a deliciously thick, hearty chili that was perfect for this lazy day.

Turkey Chili

1 Can of Ranch Style Beans
1 Can of Bush's Texas Ranchero Grillin Beans
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Can of Tomato Puree
1 Can of Water
1 lb Ground Turkey
Beer
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper



In a large sauce pan, brown turkey with salt, pepper, a good amount of onion and garlic powder, two shakes of cayenne and several shakes of chili powder. If it smells like taco seasoning, you've done it right. 



Once the turkey is browned, add all of your canned ingredients, the can of water, a bit more salt, onion powder and chili powder. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed as it comes to a simmer over medium heat. 



Once the chili is simmering, add a splash or two of the secret ingredient...and drink the rest as you stir.


Cover and let simmer over medium-low (as close to low as you can get it to keep it at a simmer) heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. 



Serve with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips on top. 


(I didn't have any tortilla chips...but I imagine it would have been even more fabulous with them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment