Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Simple Baked Ziti with Italian Salad

A few weeks before Christmas, we were visiting my husband's family and my mother in law asked me if I could make dinner for the company that she was expecting that night. I was thrilled, as I love cooking for crowds, but I had to think fast. I was going to be feeding about a dozen people, and needed something easy but delicious.

My go to dish for large groups of people is Baked Ziti. It satisfies most every palate, uses only four ingredients and tastes like you worked all day to make it.

Baked Ziti

(This recipe can be adjusted for the number of people you are feeding. Double it if you are feeding 12 or more.)

1 bag of Ziti Pasta
1 jar of  your favorite Spaghetti Sauce (I use Classico Organic)
1 lb of Italian Sausage, removed from casings (I use sweet, but any kind will do)
Shredded Mozzerella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions and drain. Toss with 1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking.

2.  In a large skillet, brown sausage and drain. Add pasta sauce and stir. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Once sauce is done, toss with pasta and pour into the baking dish of your choice. Top with shredded mozerella and bake, covered with foil for 40 minutes.

4. Remove foil, turn oven up to 400 and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.



I always like to do a salad with my pasta dishes, and this one is so good, you'll want to have lots on hand for seconds!


Italian Salad

1 bag of Iceberg Salad Mix
1 head of Romaine Lettuce, rinsed and chopped
3 Roma Tomatoes, sliced
1 Red Onion, sliced
1/2 jar Pepperoncini Peppers, drained
1/2 can Pitted Black Olives
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/2 bottle of Roasted Garlic Italian Dressing

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Add dressing and toss about 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment